The name Glover & Co first came to use in 1920, when the single Scunthorpe office merged with practices in Doncaster and Wakefield.
During the 1930’s and early 1940’s the firm was managed locally by Mr Harold Bone and was operated under the direction of the senior partner in Wakefield. The firm was very much concerned with small local businesses and the taxation problems associated with them.
In 1945 the Scunthorpe office became completely independent under the proprietorship of Mr Harold Bone. Harold Bone was a long established and well respected local businessman.
In 1951 Mr Derek Bone, then a recently qualified Scottish Chartered Accountant, joined the practice firstly as an employee and then in 1953 became a partner.
For 10 years, father and son offered a range of accountancy, taxation and general advisory services to small local businesses and members of the farming community in the surrounding area.
In 1963 Mr Harold Bone retired as a senior partner. He continued, however, to play a very active consultant role within the firm. The firm was able to describe itself as ‘Chartered Accountants’, a title it proudly bears to the present day.
1971 saw a significant further step forward in the firm’s development when two apprentices joined the firm. Mr Graham Bone (the third generation of the family to be active in the firm) and his school friend, Mr Barrie Campbell.
In 1973 the firm took over a branch office in Epworth, from a Doncaster accountant Graham assumed the position of manager in Epworth and Barrie remained in the Scunthorpe office. Graham subsequently left the firm to join an American Oil Company and then Inland Revenue itself.
In 1981 Barrie he became a partner and following a change of premises in 1989, assumed the role of managing partner in 1995.
Barrie attained his full professional qualification in 1982. He led the firm into an era of increased mechanisation. The branch office at Epworth continued to function as a service to the mainly agricultural area of the town.
Mr Derek Bone having retired from his partnership role, though continued his activity in a narrower and more specialised role, dealing with the investigation work required by the Inland Revenue.
Mr Derek Bone retired from partnership on the 31st March 1995 but continued to fulfil his role within the firm as a consultant. He however reduced the time he worked to enable him to spend more time on the golf course a long neglected passion.
Mr Bone ceased his association with the company in September 1996, to take up the position of finance director to a specialist food processing company in Otter St Mary, Devon.